The United Nations Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) strive to achieve the end of poverty, economic prosperity, social inclusion, environmental sustainable, and peace and good governance to all countries by 2030.
Universities are key stakeholders with the ability to empower students to contribute in the achievement of SDGs; motivating, shaping, and educating the future generations.
'Getting started with the SDGs in universities' is a guide to help universities, higher education institutions, and the academic sector in Australia, New Zealand and the Pacific to accelerate their contributions to the SDGs.
The Guide highlights the important role universities have in implementing the SDGs through their teaching, research, operations and leadership, and provides practical guidance and examples to inspire further action.
- SDG 1 End poverty in all its forms everywhere
- SDG 2 End hunger, achieve food security and improved nutrition and promote sustainable agriculture
- SDG 3 Ensure healthy lives and promote well-being for all at all ages
- SDG 4 Ensure inclusive and equitable quality education and promote lifelong learning opportunities for all
- SDG 5 Achieve gender equality and empower all women and girls
- SDG 6 Ensure availability and sustainable management of water and sanitation for all
- SDG 7 Ensure access to affordable, reliable, sustainable and modern energy for all
- SDG 8 Promote sustained, inclusive and sustainable economic growth, full and productive employment and decent work for all
- SDG 9 Build resilient infrastructure, promote inclusive and sustainable industrialisation and foster innovation
- SDG 10 Reduce inequality within and among countries
- SDG 11 Make cities and human settlements inclusive, safe, resilient and sustainable
- SDG 12 Ensure sustainable consumption and production patterns
- SDG 13 Take urgent action to combat climate change and its impacts
- SDG 14 Conserve and sustainably use the oceans, seas and marine resources for sustainable development
- SDG 15 Protect, restore and promote sustainable use of terrestrial ecosystems, sustainably manage forests, combat desertification and halt and reverse land degradation and halt biodiversity loss
- SDG 16 Promote peaceful and inclusive societies for sustainable development, provide access to justice for all and build effective, accountable and inclusive institutions at all levels
- SDG 17 Strengthen the means of implementation and revitalise the global partnership for sustainable development