Start volunteering today!
Volunteering has many benefits; benefits for the individuals who volunteer, benefits for the recipients of the support, the community, the environment, the economy....the benefits are endless.
Here, you can learn about volunteering, its benefits, and how to choose the right role for you
Start your search here
Each state or territory peak body for volunteering has a volunteer role search tool
Thousands of volunteer roles are available nationwide! Use the advanced search section to help narrow things down to the causes you find meaningful or roles you can easily travel to.
Volunteering is time willingly given for the common good and without financial gain.
It is a choice made by you to make a difference. Volunteering is about supporting non-profits or community groups by willingly giving your time, skills and enthusiasm to become involved and take action on issues that are important to you.
- Gain valuable work experience
- Learn new skills and develop employable skills for your career
- Attain references for your resume
- Build industry connections and networks
- Bring your own insights and ideas into the community
- Help non-profits enhance and extend their cause
- Build your confidence
- Act on your values, passions and interests
- Enjoy new social and cultural experiences
- Improve your physical and mental health
- Have fun and make a difference!
Up to 85% of employers believe volunteering to be just as credible as paid work.
If you’re having trouble finding the right role in your industry, volunteering could be an easier way to reinforce your resume and your skill set.
92% of employers said that relevant volunteering experience gives candidates an edge in job interviews. It’s a great talking point that can help you make a connection with a potential employer.
If you’re working towards a paid position in a socially responsible organisation, volunteering experience will be a strong indication of your integrity. Regardless of the field, employers see volunteers as trustworthy, proactive and motivated.
There are so many ways you can choose to volunteer.
Volunteering sharpens your talents and gives you a taste of working in your preferred industry.
It can also help broaden your horizons. You can work outside of the box by adapting to fields that are not directly related to your course.
Some ideas by disciplines:
Here are a few questions for you to consider:
- What are my motivations for volunteering?
- Is there a cause that is close to my heart?
- Are there particular skills I want to contribute or learn?
- How much time can I commit?
- A useful resource is the Volunteering to Learn Good Practice Guide for Students. This covers how to find out about volunteering opportunities, insights about volunteer organisations and identifies common challenges and solutions.
Volunteer for a cause that you believe in
Find a cause, group or organisation that resonates deeply with you. There are many things that demand our attention and pull us in different directions, however, finding a space that you are particularly passionate about will enable you to give more of yourself to excelling in that field.
Challenge yourself and go beyond ticking boxes
It is outside of your comfort zone where the magic happens. Sometimes we have to be uncomfortable and really test our limits in order for great things to happen. Some of the greatest life lessons and most cherished memories come from stepping out of your sphere of comfort and into a realm of the unknown. Volunteering is an opportunity to go beyond ticking boxes and challenge yourself – it is a chance for you to contribute to meaningful change, connect with like-minded people and to grow as an individual.
Trust yourself and have fun
The most important thing you can do as a volunteer is to trust yourself. Be the change you want to see – all change starts with you. In challenging yourself there may be times when you question your strengths and capabilities. You are strong and you are capable. When you hold back you obstruct the change you could be making and the experiences you could be having.
Start your search now!